COVID-19 (Coronavirus) – an update for our clients.

Animal Health Certificates

Taking your pet to Europe post-Brexit.

Following the UK’s departure from the European Union, the process of taking your pet with you abroad has become more complicated.

In addition to a valid microchip and rabies vaccination, you will also need to obtain an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) each time you visit the EU.

Your pet must have a valid rabies vaccination (which lasts for three years). If the vaccine has lapsed or your pet is not vaccinated, then a period of not less than 21 days must elapse between vaccination and travelling.

An AHC is completed following a consultation with one of one vets, and is valid for travel for up to 10 days after the date of issue.




Please note that not all of our vets at Garston Veterinary Group are registered as Official Veterinarians able to carry out the certification, and there is some considerable paperwork to be completed. We would therefore book your consultation with sufficient time to allow 1 -2 days for certificate preparation.

We will need a documentary record of your pet’s rabies vaccination, either in a Pet Passport or vaccination certificate. This must be brought in with you for us to make a certified copy.

The AHC is valid for up to 5 animals and for travel within the EU for four months prior to return to GB.

AHCs are required for all EU member states plus Norway, and also Northern Ireland.

You will be required to sign an owner declaration as part of the certificate stating that the export of your pet is not for trade purposes.

Prior to your appointment, please make sure you have:

  1. A definite departure date
  2. A definite point of entry into the EU (eg: Calais , France)
  3. Your pet has been microchipped and rabies vaccinated at least 21 days prior to departure
  4. A Pet Passport or vaccination certificate with the rabies vaccination recorded which you need to bring with you

(If your trip is a short one and you plan to return between 24 and 120 hours of embarkation, we may be able to administer tapeworm treatment prior to departure. If your stay is longer, you will still need to have this certified as administered by a vet in the EU. )




Strictly Necessary

These cookies are required for our website to operate and include items such as whether or not to display this pop-up box or your session when logging in to the website. These cookies cannot be disabled.


We use 3rd party services such as Google Analytics to measure the performance of our website. This helps us tailor the site content to our visitors needs.


From time to time, we may use cookies to store key pieces of information to make our site easier for you to use. Examples of this are remembering selected form options to speed up future uses of them. These cookies are not necessary for the site to work, but may enhance the browsing experience.


We may use advertising services that include tracking beacons to allow us to target our visitors with specific adverts on other platforms such as search or social media. These cookies are not required but may improve the services we offer and promote.

Change Settings

Welcome. You can control how we use cookies and 3rd party services below

Change Settings Accept
Learn how we use cookies